The first clubhouse at Mt. Hope was built in 1897 and much of the original structure remains in use today. The design was the work of renowned New York City architect Robert H. Robertson. It’s been widely rumored that Stanford White, who was also member, collaborated with Robertson on the design. This may be true as the resemblance to White’s design for the Shinnecock Hills clubhouse is striking.
In 1901 Robertson, who was at the time Vice President of the Saint Andrew's Golf Club, would be elected the fourth President of the USGA.